" Its warming and tasty - suitable for vegetarian visitors and so easy to whip up in no time from fresh or frozen broccoli "
- 12 ozes broccoli, florets and stalks cut into small pieces
- 8 ozes potato – diced small
- 14 fl-ozes vegetable stock
- 1 oz butter
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 ozes Stilton, crumbled, or to taste
- 4 fl-ozes double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Optional – crispy cooked streaky bacon
- broken into bits for sprinkling
1.Cook potatoes in vegetable stock for 10 mins – add broccoli and cook for further 5 mins till tender ( retain cooking water )
2.Meanwhile, sauté shallots+ garlic in butter and cook for one minute without colour
3.Transfer the cooked broccoli and stock to a food processor. Add the fried shallots+ garlic , Stilton and cream and blend until smooth.
4.Transfer the blended mixture to a pan and bring gently to a simmer.
5.Meanwhile, for the croûtons, toast the French bread under a grill until golden-brown on each
6.Season the soup with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
7.Serve sprinkled with optional bacon garnish