" This is a delicious, healthy, low fat soup, with the vitamins and iron from the veg, and the extra added boost of flavour from the smoked bacon. See- you can still have your cake and eat it!! "
- (serves 6)
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 rashers smoky bacon, diced
- 1.5 Litre vegetable or chicken stock (or a mixture)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsps fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 120 gs spring greens
- 50 gs tenderstem broccoli, sliced
- 50 gs french beans, sliced
- 50 gs Sugarsnap peas, sliced
- 50 gs small pasta
- 50 gs frozen peas
- grated parmesan
- torn basil for garnish (optional)
1. Sautee the red onion, celery, carrot, bacon and garlic in the olive oil, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add stock, bay leaves, parsley and thyme, and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
2. Add the spring greens, broccoli, green beans and sugar snaps, and pasta and cook for seven minutes. Add the frozen peas and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Season to taste, garnish with parmesan, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a few torn basil leaves.